…and seven months later, I’m baaaack! Wow – I just looked at the date of my last post which was October 22 – could it be? That was one day before this happened:
And here we are a half a year later:
Wow. Okay, moving along. Let’s talk mobiles! Back when I was still pregnant and LOVING putting together the nursery, I decided I wanted to try my hand at making a mobile for Eloise. Well, I didn’t know she was Eloise at the time – she was still just baby Rixen – gender unknown. Of course, not finding out the gender until birth meant keeping the nursery gender-neutral.
I didn’t have a theme per se, but after awhile a sort of “tree” feel emerged. I did some searching on Pinterest and decided to do a leaf mobile. Here’s how I did mine.
- Three wooden embroidery hoops in different sizes
- Fabric in several different patterns/colors
- Fusible interfacing
- Embroidery thread
- Hot glue gun
- Jute! (If you don’t know about my love for jute, click here)
My plan was to make make strings of falling leaves which might flutter easily. It looked great in my head, of course. Little did I know how much busy work it would be!
Here’s my fabric I chose (minus to reddish one second from the right):
First, I pulled out the inside ring of the embroidery hoop. The inside ring is solid and complete – no hook to tighten.
Next, I wrapped it in jute with the help of my sister, my mom and my niece one evening, securing the ends with a dab of hot glue. I toyed with painting the hoops, but I thought jute would give it a nice woodsy look. My name is Sarah, and I’m a jute addict.
Next – and this was easily the hardest part – I tied the hoops to each other with embroidery thread. Blegh – it was so hard to get them balanced perfectly. I ended up hanging them from our light fixture so I could adjust the different strings. I tied them in a single knot so they would slide (embroidery thread is pretty smooth) and adjust easily. When everything was balanced, I secured them with a spot of hot glue.
Next I cut out leaves. Lots and lots…and lots of leaves. I think I cut out at least 150. I learned quickly to fold the fabric like an accordion, then draw on the template and cut it out. Bam – like 10 leaves cut out at once.
I then started putting together my strings of leaves. It was sort of a leaf sandwich – leaf, interfacing, embroidery thread, leaf. Iron, repeat many times. I did half the strings with 5 leaves, half with 6 leaves.
The biggest problem with this is that the interfacing that poked out the sides kept gumming up my iron, so several times I had to turn it off, clean the glue off and start again.
Once I had all my strings of leaves complete, I started tying them to my hoops. To make sure it balanced out, if I added one to one side, I added the same to the opposite side, and so on. I just tied them once and secured the knot with a spot of hot glue.
Drumroll, please…the final product!
I am very, very pleased with how it turned out. I ended up putting this over the changing table instead of the crib because I had these visions of a leaf fluttering down and Eloise choking on it. Oh, the places my over-active mind goes. But she actually does like to look at it when getting those diapers changed, and when we hold her up to it, she practices her fine motor skills and tries to grab the leaves.
The whole thing was a challenge, both in getting it to balance right, and the amount of steps to cut everything out. I fully realize that now that I have a kid, this kind of project is a bit too intense to ever do again. So, let’s just say whenever second baby rolls around, he or she will be getting something either 1. more simple to make, or 2. store-bought. :)