And the Console-ation Prize Goes To…

27 Nov

Finished another project last weekend! This TV console project was half messy and half fun. All in all, it wasn’t too hard once Ryan and I came up with a plan. Let me start at the beginning.

One of the by-products of getting married is a lot of extra furniture. This 6-drawer dresser was in Ryan’s room before we were married.

The bedrooms in our 1950s house aren’t huge, so I wanted a tall, skinny dresser instead of this wide, short one. So this guy sat in our garage for a good two years. We were going to donate it to Ryan’s younger brother Cory, but hey, you snooze, you lose. If something sits around in our garage for long enough, I will find some way to redo it and bring it back unto the house. Sorry Cory. šŸ™‚

But I digress. We already had a TV console in our living room, but I always kind of thought it was underwhelming. (side note: our living room is in the process of being redecorated. The furniture is gone and we have new stuff. Another post…)

Here’s another view:

We were in kind of a pinch when we bought this console. Our TV died last year and true to form, my husband had to get another big one (note – this is not the only large TV in our house!). We had heard that your TV console should be wider than your TV. Ours wasn’t. Not sure why we didn’t follow TV console rules. Anyway, this guy has served its purpose for the last year or so. But it just seemed…small. Enter old dresser in garage, stage left!

I had a vision, of course, but this guy needed some work. Back in the days when Ryan and I were still playing the “friend” game (8 or so years ago), I helped him repaint his new house. I thought it would be a good idea to slap a coat of wall paint over the top of this dresser and put onĀ some new knobs. So, I rolled a coat of paint on it with a wall roller. Bad idea. Almost immediately it started chipping and peeling where any two pieces of wood rubbed together. We definitely should have at the very least primed it.

Anyway, this time around I knew that there were at least two coats of thick paint on it, so nothing was going to adhere very well. I had to strip it (insert obvious stripper joke here). A little tip for you – try to avoid stripping paint if you can. It is messy, stinky and painful if you get any of this on your skin. Wear gloves and a mask. It is intense. (note: I wish I would have gotten pictures of how gross and gloppy it was when I scraped it off, but that was before I thought about how I would put together a blog post. In addition, I could have sworn I took a picture of this dresser at least after it was scraped…or even after it was primed. I amĀ a bad blogger!)

I used this stripper, and wiped it off with this stripper wash so the primer would adhere.

Okay, so I stripped it, sanded it just a bit to smooth it all out, then put a couple of coats of primer. I decided to paint it light blue in a semi-gloss. Tip – use a small foam roller so it goes on nice and smooth.

Maia likes it. I planned on leaving out the two top drawers, putting the DVD player and cable box on the right sideĀ and baskets on the left side. We removed the drawer runner on the right side and left the one on the left side because my baskets would go there, and the runner helped keep them nice and straight. You can sort of see that it needs to be evened out on the bottom, so I got a couple of pieces of 2’x2′ 1/4″ plywood and Ryan cut it to size.

Just to make sure it was seamless, I put a layer of caulk in the seams (insert obvious caulk joke here). This is what I was left with:

Next, I primed the inside:

Then I painted the inside the same light blue:

Almost done! To make sure the top is nice and durable, I applied two coats of polycrylic to the top with a small sponge roller. It looks milky but dries clear and keeps the top protected from nicks and scratches. Plus, it’s water-based so brushes clean up nicely, unlike with varnish.

I had Ryan cut a hole in the back for cords, and we’re done!

I’m very happy with it. It’s much more proportional to the size of our television, and I’m loving the color! This was a fairly easy project, so if you have an old dresser taking up space, or find one on the cheap, you can make your own unique console! (p.s. Don’t feel bad for Cory – we’re offering our old TV console to him at a reduced price)

Next post I’ll finally be getting to the big bathroom reveal (here’s a little teaser photo for you). We’re so excited about it – it’s a big deal around the Rixen household! Even Geebs likes it (okay, maybe the heated tile helps).

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: